Sunday, July 15, 2012

The other day I had the blessing of flying Marie Joy back home to Ouanaminthe after being in PAP for adoption paperwork.  I did not recognize Marie Joy but her adoptive mom, Brittany, reminded me that I had flown her after the earthquake.
Marie Joy and Brittany
She was at her aunts house in Port au Prince and had been badly burned during the disaster.  Brittany works with Danita’s Children which is an orphanage in Northern Haiti and had taken Marie Joy in after the earthquake.   While getting in the plane I remembered doing a medivac flight for one of their babies named Lubenson  in 2006.  He had a huge life threatening tumor in his mouth and needed emergency surgery in the US.  I had flown him from the orphanage in Ouanaminthe (OAN) to Port-au-Prince (PAP) for the needed paper work and to catch the flight to the US.  Several months later, after his surgery in the US, I flew him back home to Ouanaminthe.  I asked Brittany if Lebenson was still there.  She said yes and asked if I wanted to see him.  I was thrilled to be able to see him again and arrangements were made for Lubenson to come to the airstrip and meet the plane.
Will and Lubenson in 2006 on the flight to Port au Prince.
Lubenson's before and after surgery picture.
Before starting the plane Marie Joy looked terrified.  Brittany told me she had screamed and cried the entire flight from OAN to PAP.  I talked to Marie Joy before firing up the engine and tried to get her to relax.  I had no memory of flying her after the earthquake but she seemed to remember me.  It was almost as if Marie Joy was thinking, “I know you helped me last time, so even though I’m terrified now, I’ll trust you”  Several times during the flight I turned around and gave her the standard “MAF thumbs up”.  There is nothing else pilots can do while flying a noisy plane and wearing a huge helmet.  Marie Joy did surprisingly well and we arrived in OAN in 35 minutes.  She even posed for an in-flight picture. 
First Class seats in MAF planes.
After landing and unloading,  Lubenson showed up.  Even though he had grown up from the baby I flew 6 years ago,  I recognized him immediately.  It was encouraging to learn how God is using Lubenson.  He often prays with other kids at the orphanage that have special needs and shares his story of how God provided for him.  The Lord has great plans for Lubenson.  We look forward to keeping up with him over the years.
Will and Lubenson both looking older.
Thanks to all our prayer and financial supporters who make it possible for us to minister to kids like Lubenson and Marie Joy, and spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ in Haiti.


For more information on Lubenson and Danita's Children click the link below:
http://www.danitaschildren.org/lubenson-s-story/

2 comments:

  1. This is an awesome story. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so great to reconnect with people that you have been wondering about and praying for. Praise God for his great care of all his children, wherever their paths lead them.

    ReplyDelete